The Ladysmith Saltair Garden Club will meet on Thursday, May 17th, 2018
Time: Doors open 6:30pm. Meeting begins at 7pm.
Where: Lower Meeting Room G18 at the Ladysmith Community Health Centre,
1111 4th Ave, Ladysmith.
Enter through the main doors and use either the stairs or fully accessible elevator.
Our speaker will be long time club member, Pam Fraser, who served as the trip coordinator for the L. S. Garden Club for six years. Pam has captured numerous photographic images, many of which she will share with us. Pam summarizes her interest in ‘gardens’ as follows:
“My mom was a great gardener with an encyclopaedic knowledge of plants. She got me started early by letting me plant my own rows of radishes, a very satisfactory vegetable with near immediate reward. I have gone on to garden in several homes and have always found it much more preferable to be working outside the house than in. I have also very much enjoyed viewing other people’s gardens- the variety of visions are delightful. I started going on home garden tours in Prince George where there are many fabulous home gardens. The tours were organized by the local garden club, the David Douglas Botanical Society (loved the name!) after a pioneer plant collector. The Douglas fir is named after him. The club is developing a botanical garden at the University of Northern BC in Prince George which is worth seeing. Since moving to Ladysmith I wanted to keep garden touring and and organized trips for our club from 2011 to 2016. I also love to visit botanical gardens when we travel. This presentation is pictures from my numerous garden tours both with the club and travelling further afield. I hope they whet your appetite for gardening touring, and encourage someone in the club to organize more in the future. What’s better than good company and good gardens?”
This will be the last business meeting for the 2017-2018 year and will include the following items:
• Plant Sale Summary. (An amazing crew and harmonious teamwork…a treat to have so many members working so well together. Creativity, productivity and hard work were on display. THANK YOU. Feel free to offer suggestions for improvement.
• Elections and volunteer positions for Sept. 2018 to Aug. 2019
• Summer Pot Luck…many thanks to Jim and Carmen for offering to host. Date in last part of June to be confirmed. Details to follow.
• Garden Visits…our great Speaker Committee is considering a morning visit on July 19th to Nanoose Edibles followed by a picnic and a local garden visit in August. Stay tuned.
• Invitation to Ladysmith Secondary School Commencement and Awards Night Friday, June 8th. Would anyone like to present our award? Presenters meet in the library between 4:00pm and 4:30pm. Program begins at 5pm.
Bring a mug for the refreshment break offering tea and decaf coffee. Big thanks to Sue B and Bennye for providing the goodies.
Membership to August: $5; Returning 2017 members and drop-in $2. New membership year begins in September.
Any donations for the door prize draw and the food bank are most welcome.
“I like gardening-it’s a place where I find myself when I need to lose myself” Alice Sebold